79 Asylum-Seekers Enter Bulgaria in Past 24 Hours
A total of 79 asylum-seekers have entered Bulgaria through its border with Turkey over the past 24 hours, authorities say.
38 of them are Syrian nationals, according to the Bulgarian Interior Ministry.
The total capacity of the the shelters under the authority of the Interior Ministry and the State Agency for Refugees has now been exceeded by 1131 beds.
Bulgaria is the gateway to the European Union for refugees fleeing Syria via Turkey, many crossing the border illegally to seek asylum.
Security at the Bulgarian-Turkish border has been upped by border police from other parts of the country. Additional staff to process documents has been sent as well.
Bulgaria’s government expects the number of asylum seekers in the country to reach 11 000 by the end of 2013.
- » 4 People Dead, 15 Injured in Road Accidents During the Past Day
- » Code Yellow Warning Issued Over Heavy Rain in 18 Bulgarian Districts
- » 3 People Dead, 23 Injured in Road Accidents During Past Day
- » 100 Bulgarian Books Were Introduced to the Library of Congress in Washington D.C
- » Bulgarian Christians Celebrate Ascension of Christ
- » International Poetry Festival Begins Today in Plovdiv