256 Syrian Immigrants Crossed Bulgarian Border in 6 Days
Bulgarian border police have detained a total of 368 individuals illegally crossing the Bulgarian-Turkish "green border" from 6 am on September 5 to 6 am on September 11.
The number was reported by the press center of the Bulgarian Interior Ministry.
"Green border" refers to crossings without a checkpoint. Under Bulgarian law this is a crime.
The detainees included 256 Syrian nationals and 112 from other countries.
The total capacity of refugee shelters of the State Refugee Agency and of special homes of the Interior Ministry is 1 930 beds. It has already been exceeded by 412 beds.
Bulgaria is undertaking measures to accommodate all potential refugees that might arrive from Syria seeking asylum from the devastating civil war conflict.
Interior Minister, Tsvetlin Yovchev, reported Wednesday that Bulgaria has secured another 350 beds for refugees in two new shelters to open in just days and is seeking more buildings to be transformed to shelters.
The Bulgarian Red Cross is ready to launch a national charity drive.
There is no current threat of epidemics, the authorities have assured, following media publications.
- » Terrorists Attacked a Hotel in Kabul
- » Teenager Rushed into a Russian School with an Axe and Lit it on Fire (Video)
- » Thousands of Britons have Bought Fake Diplomas
- » Arrested Doctor Worked Under the Influence of Alcohol
- » California Horror Story: Thirteen Brothers and Sisters were Found Chained by their Parents in a House
- » Serbian Political Leader In Northern Kosovo Shot Dead