Slovakia Becomes 16th EU Country to Adopt Euro
Slovakia will adopt the euro on January 1, which will also be the 10th anniversary of the currency.
"The 1st of January 2009 will be a proud moment for the euro area but also for the EU as a whole as Slovakia becomes the 16th country to adopt the euro and the European currency celebrates its 10th anniversary. The euro has become the symbol of EU identity and is proving to be a solid and stabilising factor in currency markets both inside and outside the euro area,"said JoaquГn Almunia, European Commissioner for Economic and Monetary Affairs.
"I am delighted we will welcome Slovakia as the sixteenth member of the euro area. 2009 will begin with around 329 million Europeans carrying euro notes and coins in their pockets," Commission President, Jose Manuel Barroso, declared.
Commercial banks in Slovakia started receiving euro banknotes and coins in September and have been supplying them to shops and other businesses so that they can handle payments and return change in euro from the 1st of January.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Nearly 60% of Bulgarians are Skeptical about Adopting the Euro
- » Bulgaria Is Late to Explain Its Position on N.Macedonia Says Diplomat
- » New German Government and Old Bulgarian "bad boy" Borissov
- » EC Opens Infringement Proceedings against 19 EU Member States, Including Bulgaria
- » Bulgarians and EU Citizens Will Enter UK only with Passports from October 1st
- » Bulgaria’s Town of Panagyurishte Awarded Title of European City of Sports in 2022