Athens Relatively Calm after 7 Days of Riots
The calm follows fresh rioting on Saturday night with protesters throwing Molotov cocktails at police, government buildings, banks and shops.
Earlier in the evening there was a peaceful commemoration for the 15-year-old Alexis Grigoropoulos, who was shot dead by the police last week.
The shooting of the boy was the catalyst for the violence, but it comes along with plummeting popularity of the centre-right government against a backdrop of high youth unemployment, rising cost of living, and a widening gap between rich and poor.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 123 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Explosions in Kyiv, Widodo will meet Zelensky and Putin
- » North Macedonia’s Foreign Minister: We may Not Get a New Proposal
- » Belgrade: The Creation of the Serbian World is a Process that Cannot be Stopped
- » Day 122 of the Invasion of Ukraine: All of Luhansk under Russian Control except Lysychansk
- » Biden on the Abolition of Abortion Rights in the US: A Tragic Mistake
- » Macron: Thank you Bulgaria, Congratulations North Macedonia