Washington Post: Biological Or Nuclear Terrorist Attack on Major City Is Coming
The study, due for release as early as Tuesday, warns of growing threats from rogue states, nuclear smuggling networks and the spread of atomic know-how in the developing world.
According to the article, Pakistan is singled out by the experts as a grave concern because of its terrorist networks, history of instability and arsenal of several dozen nuclear warheads.
The report, ordered by Congress last year, concludes that terrorists are more likely to obtain materials for a biological attack than to buy or steal nuclear weapons. But it says the nuclear threat is growing rapidly, in part because of the increasing global supply of nuclear material and technology.
"Without greater urgency and decisive action by the world community, it is more likely than not that a weapon of mass destruction will be used in a terrorist attack somewhere in the world by the end of 2013," says the draft report, a copy of which has been obtained by The Washington Post.
The study also calls for an in-dept review of the international institutions and treaties that have sought to slow the spread of nuclear weapons and a stronger International Atomic Energy Agency to conduct inspections and enforce the rules.
Commission members further urge Barack Obama to take a tough line with Pakistan, Iran and North Korea.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Trio of UN Chief, Erdogan, Zelensky to visit Black Sea Port of Odesa
- » UK Inflation Hits 40-year High
- » Day 175 of the Invasion of Ukraine: More Explosions in Crimea, Russia Admits it was Sabotage
- » Biden signs major Climate Change and Health Care Law
- » Amid Global Tension, the US Tests Nuclear-Capable Missile
- » Finland to Issue Fewer Visas to Russians, Estonia Suspends them on Thursday