Chavez Visits Moscow for Arms Talks
"I watch the rebirth of Russia with great respect and great love," Chavez told Medvedev at the beginning of the meeting.
"Russia and Venezuela must become strategic allies in the oil sphere and in military-technical cooperation," Chavez added, as cited by the RIA Novosti news agency.
He also passed to Medvedev kind regards from "Fidel (Castro) and other friends in Latin America."
Russian media said Chavez's shopping list include Russian diesel submarines, mobile missile systems and tanks. Venezuela also seeks loans from Russian banks, partly to fund arms purchases, while some of Russia's biggest companies, including Gazprom and LUKOIL are interested in boosting trade with the OPEC member.
Washington says Chavez's military build-up could destabilise Latin America as tensions between Venezuela and Colombia, a close US ally, remain high.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » KFOR ready to Intervene in Case of Risk in Kosovo
- » Japan urges Young People to Drink More
- » At least 20 Dead, 40 Injured in Mosque Explosion in Kabul
- » Chinese Troops to Participate in joint Military Exercises in Russia
- » Trio of UN Chief, Erdogan, Zelensky to visit Black Sea Port of Odesa
- » UK Inflation Hits 40-year High