PM Stanishev Honors Rescue of Bulgaria Jews from Nazi Holocaust
"It is very important to remember today the lessons, and not to allow hatred towards the different religions, ethnicities, and convictions in Bulgaria, because democracy is a constant struggle", Stanishev said quoted by the Trud Daily.
In his words, lenient attitude towards xenophobic acts carried a serious risk for the Bulgarian society.
The PM also pointed out that the act of the protesters on May 24, 1943, deserved enormous respect because the people expressed their will to rescue their Jewish compatriots in the face of possible repressions.
About 50,000 Bulgarian Jews were rescued from deportation to concentration camps in 1943 even though Bulgaria was formally an ally of Nazi Germany.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Russian COVID-19 Vaccine in the Form of Yogurt?
- » Programme for Graduates Returning to Bulgaria for Work Postponed for Next Year
- » Government of Bulgaria will Allocate BGN 600,000 for the Rila Monastery
- » WHO: Be Careful, This is Still a Killer Virus, after Claim by Italian Doctor
- » The Weather Today - June 2nd
- » 19 New Cases of Coronavirus in Bulgaria, Total: 2538 on June 2