Italia Chooses New PM in Early Elections
Polls opened at 0800 (0600GMT) and are due to close at 2200 (2000GMT).
After a day off from campaigning on Saturday, the voters are to choose from 158 different parties, contesting regional and national elections.
The main contenders for the premiership are centre-right former PM Silvio Berlusconi and centre-left former mayor of Rome, Walter Veltroni.
Both runners have promised modest tax cuts and reductions in bureaucracy as the economy turned out to be the key election issue.
Mr Berlusconi is the head of a business empire that spans media, advertising, insurance, food and construction and includes the successful football club AC Milan. He is also leading a new party into the polls - the conservative People of Freedom (PDL).
Mr Veltroni is a former communist who served for seven years as mayor of Rome, before taking over the leadership of the coalition led by Romano Prodi. He leads the recently formed grouping, the Democratic Party (PD).
Italy's 62nd election in 63 years comes three years early, after Prodi stepped down as prime minister when his coalition government collapsed in January.
Correspondents say that whichever candidate is declared the winner on Monday, both know that a period of painful political and economic reforms is essential and unavoidable.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 346 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Zelensky thinks Negotiations for EU can begin This Year, Germany has Evidence of War Crimes
- » Blinken Postponed his Visit to Beijing because of the Chinese Balloon
- » Initial Data after the Introduction of the Euro in Croatia: Inflation is Slowing Down
- » Day 345 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Speculations about a Peace Plan and an End to the War
- » The January "Jump" in Prices in Croatia Turned Out to be 0.2%
- » The US and Canada are Tracking Suspected Chinese Surveillance Balloons