EP Calls for EU Olympics' Opening Boycott
MEPs want China to begin a dialogue with the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama by August.
The document condemns "the brutal repression" by China in last month's crackdown on Tibetan protests and calls for a UN inquiry into the events.
The resolution further calls on Beijing to respect its commitments to human and minority rights.
It came as UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown confirmed he would not attend the opening of the Olympics on August 8.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has also said she never intended to go to Beijing.
French President Nicolas Sarkozy, who will chair the EU during the Olympic Games, has suggested he might consider boycotting the event unless China opens a dialogue with the Dalai Lama to find a political solution to the unrest.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 176 of the Invasion of Ukraine: At least 6 Killed in Russian Bombing of Kharkiv
- » KFOR ready to Intervene in Case of Risk in Kosovo
- » Japan urges Young People to Drink More
- » At least 20 Dead, 40 Injured in Mosque Explosion in Kabul
- » Chinese Troops to Participate in joint Military Exercises in Russia
- » Trio of UN Chief, Erdogan, Zelensky to visit Black Sea Port of Odesa