Bulgarian Expertise Piles up Pressure on Australian Stabber
The psychiatric expertise shows that the defendant was aware of the consequences of his actions and does not have grounds to plead insane, the Bulgarian News Agency reported, citing sources from the prosecutor's office.
Paul "Jock" Palfreeman, 21, is behind bars in a Bulgarian jail after being charged with murder after an alleged street brawl in the capital Sofia at the end of December. Palfreeman also faces a charge of attempted murder over the alleged stabbing of a 19-year-old man during the fight.
The deadline for collecting materials on the case expires on February 28.
Bulgarian court experts claim Palfreeman's defence, who says he was acting in self-defence, is not backed by any evidence, with no further details of the case revealed so far.
Palfreeman, who is a trainee soldier in the British army, wanted British defence officials present to ensure a fair and transparent hearing because of fears that police and witnesses are not being objective.
But British army officials rejected the request, saying that because the man was not in Bulgaria for official defence purposes the matter was being treated as a consulate matter.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Anti-Corruption Commission with Claims for BGN 140 Million Against Minyu and Stayko Staykovi
- » Bulgaria: Former Ministers Simeon Dyankov, Traicho Traikov and Businessman Prokopiev Acquitted in EVN Case
- » Bulgarian Chief Prosecutor Geshev: Senior Officials Have Been Arrested in Anti-Drug Operations
- » Unregulated Contacts of President Radev’s Secretary with Businessman Plamen Bobokov
- » PM Boyko Borisov, Vladislav Goranov and Menda Stoyanova Are Questioned in the Investigation Against Mogul Bozhkov
- » Commission for Combating Corruption Checks Bulgarian Education Minister Valchev for Conflict of Interest