Bulgaria's Army Digs out Its Maybach Tanks
Army officials reported that a number of Panzer IV tanks, equipped with Maybach engines and previously buried near the southern Bulgarian border as stationary guns, have already been dug out and transported to a secure military base.
All tanks will be in a safe place before the end of February but it is still unclear what their future will be, the army said.
According to experts, there are few tanks of the same type in the world still outside the military museums and robbers could make a good profit by selling parts of the machines to collectioners.
In November, Bulgaria's police arrested two German nationals and a Bulgarian army major over stealing and exporting abroad a whole Panzer IV tank and attempting to do the same with a second one.
In January , police launched another investigation over a stolen turret of a third vintage tank.
- » Shooting in Malmö, Five Injured
- » Two People Threatened a MP from the Bulgarian Socialist Party with a Gun
- » A Hungarian Court Sentenced Three Bulgarians for Human Trafficking
- » 8 Bulgarians Raped a 13-year-old Girl in Germany
- » Drugs Distribution Group in Pleven and Lovech was Busted
- » The Owner of a Large Bulgarian Dairy Company was Arrested for Tax Fraud
"5) we should admit that unlike its closest neighbours - Albania , Greece , Turkey , Serbia , Croatia - this country has never had some certain position and alwasy dashed around super powers . Recent Putin visit is the best proof"
I should hope so.
I am very proud that Bulgarian policy has always been very consistently pro-Bulgarian.
In the 20th century, it's been getting back the territories lost in the Balkan Wars, and allaying with any one that would forward that aim, as oppose to some naive loyalty notions.
Bulgaria is, I believe the only Axis country, that's ended the war larger than at the start.
"So , you are like a whore who always wants to get the money sucking cock !"
Yet how civilized we are, compare to this;)
Every one changes sides:
"So, if Bulgaria stayed on the loosing side would you be here singing the praises of steadfast Bulgaria, yeah right" - you must be stupid like your friend Kolega .
Albania , Greece and Serbia were occupied by NAZI forces during WW2 . Croatia was an ally of Germany . These countries did not change their status along whole period of the war like your NAZI-COMMUNIST contry did . So , you are like a whore who always wants to get the money sucking cock ! Steadfast traitors !!!
"we should admit that unlike its closest neighbours - Albania , Greece , Turkey , Serbia , Croatia - this country has never had some certain position and alwasy dashed around super powers . Recent Putin visit is the best proof ."
First of all this is just not true. Leading up to the fall of the Ottoman empire Serbia played Hungary off of Turkey and at the same time Croatia repeatedly played Hungary off of Austria and Prussia. Everybody does this its called politics.
When you are not a "world player" you survive by playing off of the interests of others, it is called cunning.
So, if Bulgaria stayed on the loosing side would you be here singing the praises of steadfast Bulgaria, yeah right.
It is a realy a pleasure to follow this conversation and be aware (one more time) of Kolega point of view regarding Bulgarian role in WW2 ! Would you please clarify what "the end of the war" you mean ? When you supported Germans or became an ally of Soviets ?
1) PZIV was a major German tank and had several modifications during WW2 (short gun of 75 mm till 1942 and captured Russian 76 mm gun of L-76 aftermath) .
2) It was absolutely useless in the Eastern front after 1943 when Soviet army got a modernization . So , your reference to Heinz Guderian is not reasonable .
3) these tanks (not so many as you say because Bulgaria is a country which did not take part in military operations directly was mostly equipped by captured French and Czech machines) were given to Bulgarian army to prevent English invasion to Greece .
4) this kind of rarities are always welcomed by big national museums such as British Military Museum and etc. Average price for a unit is up to 300.000 pounds .
5) we should admit that unlike its closest neighbours - Albania , Greece , Turkey , Serbia , Croatia - this country has never had some certain position and alwasy dashed around super powers . Recent Putin visit is the best proof .
if only Bg woul have remaind nuetral in WW2!! Like Turkey
impossible? No just give the Germans right of way to attack Greece then say leave us alone
with remont those Bg Germanski tanks can be sold to museums for top euro!!
it used to be called top dollar but....
The Guderian story is certainly true. The Germans lost the war mainly because Hitler imposed stupid decisions of him about very important war moves instead of listening to his generals. For example Romel told him the Americans will try to go through Normandy and asked for more forces and fortifications there but the guy didnt believe him.
Another general who was the last to win a big battle against the Red army quarreled with Hitler on a weekly basis about the Russian campaign and even was approached by the Hitler attentators. He didnt denounce them but declined to participate allegedly saying "Prussian generals dont switch sides".
Dear Kolega, we already know that Bulgaria joined Germany in the second world war, but who is surprised ? As with the new "marriage" with President Putins European ambitions, Bulgaria has become a beacon of political mistakes- Turkey for 500 years( Russia had to save Bulgaria), then Germany and the Sovjet empire-one dictatorship after another and Bulgaria ends up with its ambitious political nose in the ditch, waiting for the next savior to help the country out of misery! Like with EU now ? Bulgaria plundered and ripped off by its own bandits and politicians, and EU is supposed to pay the bill? It will never happen!
I think those are part of the 180 tanks the Germans sent to BG at the end of the war, against Guderian's energetic protests.
Those tanks would've been better used elsewhere, but such was the schizophrenic NAZI leadership towards the end.
That, along with them shipping the majority of the tanks used in the "battle of the bulge" to Hungary, of all places,(thus leaving the West of Germany easy to take even by weak army like that of the Americans) and the interning of so many good divisions in the Kurland in the mistaken believe that they will serve as a "balcony" over the advancing Russians in East Prussia....