Red Cross Warns of Record Number of Natural Disasters
The organisation said that in comparison to last year there has been an increase of 20 percent in the number of natural disasters, most of them weather-related.
As of 10 October 2007, the organisation had already recorded 410 disasters, 56 percent of which were weather-related, which is consistent with the trend of rising numbers of climate change-related disasters, says the annual World Disasters Report.
The report also shows that natural disasters hit 270 million people every year, while in the previous decade the figure was 240 million. The number of deaths caused by disasters has doubled to 1,2 million people.
Currently the UN holds a climate conference on the Indonesian island of Bali, attempting to reach agreement on reducing CO2 emissions that cause global warming.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Breaching EU Sanctions will soon be a 'Eurocrime'
- » Russia not only Destroys but Depopulates Ukraine: A Quarter of its Population is already Abroad
- » Russian Sinologist: Within 10-15 years, the Balkans and Poland will want to join Russia
- » Day 278 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Pentagon considers giving Ukraine Munitions with Range 'Deep into Russia's Rear'
- » Turkey's Erdogan continues the Airstrikes and wants to Launch a New Ground Operation in Syria
- » Protests in China: Authorities erected Barricades and Arrested People just for taking Pictures