Bulgarian Church Gets Hefty UNESCO Sum
That has been announced by the organization's director-general, Koichiro Matsuura, when he met Bulgaria's ambassador to France Irina Bokova, the Bulgarian National Radio said Tuesday.
The money will be used to repair the church's air-conditioning system.
Located on the outskirts of Sofia, Boyana Church consists of three buildings.
The eastern church was built in the 10th century, then enlarged at the beginning of the 13th century by Sebastocrator Kaloyan, who ordered a second two-storey building to be erected next to it.
The frescoes in this second church make it one of the most important collections of medieval paintings.
The ensemble is completed by a third church, built at the beginning of the 19th century.
This site is one of the most complete and perfectly preserved monuments of east European medieval art.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian Health Minister: The Green Certificate for post-illness remains
- » Bulgarian PM: I guarantee that the schools will close last
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 4389 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Arriving in Bulgaria: Children aged 12 to 18 from Red Zone countries must present a PCR test
- » Highest mortality in the EU: 88% more deaths in November in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Doctor: There are many children infected with Omicron