Pope Arrives in Cologne for World Youth Day
Politics | August 18, 2005, Thursday // 00:00| Views: | Comments: 0
"Friendship, joy and peace will be the highlights of this event," Pope Benedict XVI said upon the start of his visit in Cologne. Awaiting the 78-aged pope were an estimated 400,000 young pilgrims gathered in western German city. Photo by Deutsche Welle.
Pope Benedict XVI was greeted by loud cheers as he stepped out onto German soil for the first time on Thursday. He was welcomed by representatives of the German government, including President Kohler and Chancellor Schroeder and his wife. It was noted that Pope Benedict obviously intends to lend his own style to trips abroad... he did not kiss the ground like his predecessor. Before leaving for Germany, the pope said he was looking forward to the visit as it was not only to his homeland but was also an opportunity to meet with young people. He said that being part of world youth day would be a great event, as hundreds of thousands of young Catholics have gathered in Cologne.Politics » Be a reporter: Write and send your article Expats.bg All Are Welcome! Join Now!
- » Is Bulgaria Ready For the Challenges of the Present and the Future?
- » Over 2 million Sales of Electronic Vignettes in Bulgaria Have Been Realized
- » The Cabinet Approves BGN 20.7 million Subsidy For Religions for 2019
- » Bulgaria's Financial Regulator to Check Eurohold Over CEZ Deal
- » More than 280,000 Bulgarians Will Travel During the Easter Holiday
- » Up to 10 Years There Will Be a New Terminal and a Runway at Sofia Airport