Five Bulgarians Sentenced to Jail in Dubai for Computer Frauds
Kiril Mantovski, 23, Victor Lazarov, 21, Svetozar Kolev, 40, Lyubomir Megov, 32, and Velin Nedelchev, 21, were found guilty of draining unspecified amounts of money from three banks using illegal credit cards and checks, as well as unauthorized receipt of bank loans.
The lawsuit against the men was initiated after a complaint by Dubai banks.
The investigation has revealed that the cards were issued upon request of the Lebanese employers of the Bulgarians hired at Dubai-registered MI Electronics. Bulgarian defense insisted the Lebanese employers were actually the final recipients of the money.
According to local press reports, the five Bulgarians testified they were tortured into making confessions during the preliminary investigation.
The Bulgarian defendants, who have already spent nine months in jail, have a 15-day window to appeal the verdicts.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Boyko Borissov will not be an MP in the New Bulgarian Parliament
- » Bulgaria: Parts of Kapitan Andreevo Border Checkpoint declared a National Security Object
- » It’s Official: 7 Parties enter the 48th National Assembly in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria’s President: The Voters clearly told the Politicians that Dialogue is Needed
- » “Democratic Bulgaria” wants Military Aid for Ukraine in the first days of the New Parliament
- » Bulgaria: "Vazrazhdane" will Not Support a Cabinet with a Мandate from another party