Over 50,000 Join Rose Fest in Bulgaria
Among the guests, attending the traditional festival, were 15 envoys to the country, including chief of EC Delegation to Sofia Dimitris Kurkulas, and ambassadors of the United States, Japan, South Korea, and others.
The Bulgarian rose production is popularised every year during the Festival of Roses. The festival originates from the celebrations held at the beginning of the rose-harvesting period.
The three main events mark the celebrations - electing of Queen Rose, harvesting ritual in the rose gardens and the parade along the streets of the town.
The Valley of Roses is one of the biggest producers of rose oil in the world.
According to a legend, returning soldiers of Alexander Macedon's garrisons brought the first roses to Thrace from the region of the town Kashan in Persia through Syria and Damascus.
Bulgarian scientists presume that the cultivation of the roses was introduced to the region round Kazanlak, a town founded by the Turks in 1420.
The roses were reportedly brought from Tunisia by a Turkish judge, who had beautiful vast gardens planted with fragrant roses.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Sunny, Temperatures Up to 29 °
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 189 Newly Registered Cases in 6042 PCR Tests
- » Protests in Bulgaria, Day 71: Protesters Demand the Resignation of Tsveta Karayancheva - Speaker of the National Assembly
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 154 New Cases, 10 Death
- » Bulgaria: Eight Teachers from Sofia's School Tested Positive for COVID-19
- » Bulgaria Celebrates Saints Sophia, Faith, Hope and Love