UK Poetry on Sofia Underground
The first poem in "Poetry on the Walls" project - by Dutch Jan Hanlo - marked the assuming of the EU presidency by the Netherlands, its words painted on a wall of the Natural Science Museum.
Now the words of a poem by Scottish poet Liz Lochhead found their way to the Sofia subway, an idea, borrowed by the seventeen-year old tradition of London "Poems on the Underground". The project, now assumed to be part of the urban landscape, is considered one of the most successful public art projects.
The work of art was unveiled on Thursday by Ian Stewart, Director of British Council Bulgaria, at a ceremony attended by UK Ambassador in Sofia Jeremy Hill and Dutch Ambassador to Bulgaria Baroness Henriette van Lynden.
The initiative "Poetry on the Walls" aims at promoting the diversity of European languages and literature.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Nearly 60% of Bulgarians are Skeptical about Adopting the Euro
- » Bulgaria Is Late to Explain Its Position on N.Macedonia Says Diplomat
- » New German Government and Old Bulgarian "bad boy" Borissov
- » EC Opens Infringement Proceedings against 19 EU Member States, Including Bulgaria
- » Bulgarians and EU Citizens Will Enter UK only with Passports from October 1st
- » Bulgaria’s Town of Panagyurishte Awarded Title of European City of Sports in 2022