Aborigines Riot in Sydney
World | February 16, 2004, Monday // 00:00| Views: | Comments: 0
Australian Aborigines triggered off a riot in Sydney following the death of a young Aboriginal cyclist. It is one of worst outberaks of civil unrest facing Australia's capital. Photo by AFP.
Australian Aborigines have rioted in a ghetto near the centre of Sydney following the death of a young Aboriginal cyclist. Hurling Molotov cocktails and bricks at police in a nine-hour battle that ended on Monday, dozens of police were injured - many with broken bones. The riot is one of the worst outbreaks of civil unrest in Sydney in at least a decade. It was triggered by the death of Aborigine Thomas Hickey, who was impaled on a metal fence after falling from his bicycle on Saturday. He died in hospital on Sunday morning.World » Be a reporter: Write and send your article Expats.bg All Are Welcome! Join Now!
- » Russian Orthodox Church Cuts Ties with Constantinople
- » Opposition Leader and Putin Foe Navalny Released from Jail for Anti-Kremlin Protests
- » Google+ Shuts Down as Nearly Half a Million Accounts Compromised
- » ISS Astronauts Return to Earth Amid US-Russia Tensions
- » Interpol President Reported Missing During Trip to China
- » Nobel Peace Prize: Denis Mukwege and Nadia Murad Win Award
Please, log in to post a comment.
» To the forumComments (0)