Aborigines Riot in Sydney
World | February 16, 2004, Monday // 00:00| Views: | Comments: 0
Australian Aborigines triggered off a riot in Sydney following the death of a young Aboriginal cyclist. It is one of worst outberaks of civil unrest facing Australia's capital. Photo by AFP.
Australian Aborigines have rioted in a ghetto near the centre of Sydney following the death of a young Aboriginal cyclist. Hurling Molotov cocktails and bricks at police in a nine-hour battle that ended on Monday, dozens of police were injured - many with broken bones. The riot is one of the worst outbreaks of civil unrest in Sydney in at least a decade. It was triggered by the death of Aborigine Thomas Hickey, who was impaled on a metal fence after falling from his bicycle on Saturday. He died in hospital on Sunday morning.World » Be a reporter: Write and send your article Expats.bg All Are Welcome! Join Now!
- » United States Introduces Visa Restrictions for Pregnant Women
- » US Imposes new Sanctions on Iran
- » Corruption Perceptions in Bulgaria - The Strongest across the EU
- » Second City in China Introduces State of Emergency due to the Coronavirus Outbreak
- » Eurostat: Production of Industrial Chemicals in the EU Increased in 2018
- » Chinese Authorities have Temporarily Banned Wuhan Residents from Leaving the City