Crime Rate "Endangers" Romania's EU Bid
Calling it a way to save taxpayers' money, the Austrian government plans to build a prison in Romania and deport Romanian criminals immediately to their home country. Critics say the proposal has "a touch of xenophobia."
It is also considered as a way to deal with a 50 percent increase in the number of Romanian crime suspects in Austria last year. Ministers blame this on the abolishment of visa requirements for Romanians to enter the EU in 2002.
The Romanian government, which is also talking to Italy about setting up a similar agreement, has welcomed the idea. The social reintegration of criminals would be easier if they served their time close to relatives, Romanian Justice Minister Rodica Stanoiu said.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
Politics » Be a reporter: Write and send your article Expats.bg All Are Welcome! Join Now!
- » Riots in the Netherlands Escalate Following Introduction of Curfew
- » Trump Impeachment Article Sent to Senate
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Wind Rises Sweeping in Cold Front
- » Breaking News: Malls and Gyms Open Doors in February
- » 200 Days of Protests in Bulgaria
- » EU Prepares Joint Reaction On the Situation in Russia