EU Funds Neglect Bulgaria's Grand Ancient Monument of Perperikon
The municipality of Kardjali, where the archaeological site is situated, submitted a project for cultural and historical tourism development under EU PHARE Funds. It applied for financial aid to build up the adjacent infrastructure and to preserve the major excavations, started in 2000.
Considered by archaeologists to be one of the most famous prophecy sites in antiquity, a temple of the Greek god of wine Dionysus, Perperikon has only recently revealed its fabulous palaces and religious altars, Nikolaп Ovtcharov, the head of the local archaeological team explained.
He stressed on the absurdity of the major religious centre's status, as it has been supported with no external financial aid for the whole 4-year period of excavations.
The cult centre of Perperikon is expected to attract nearly 400,000 tourists in 2004.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian Health Minister: The Green Certificate for post-illness remains
- » Bulgarian PM: I guarantee that the schools will close last
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 4389 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Arriving in Bulgaria: Children aged 12 to 18 from Red Zone countries must present a PCR test
- » Highest mortality in the EU: 88% more deaths in November in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Doctor: There are many children infected with Omicron