WRESTLING CHAMPIONSHIP MOVED TO BULGARIA
Sports | October 11, 2001, Thursday // 00:00| Views: | Comments: 0
The world wrestling championships scheduled for New York last month but postponed after the terrorist attacks will now take place in Bulgaria and Greece, the international wrestling federation announced. FILA, wrestling`s world governing body, said the freestyle and women`s championships will take place in Sofia, Bulgaria from November 22 to November 25. The Greco-Roman wrestling event will be held in either Athens or Patras, Greece from December 6 to December 9. The New York championships were scheduled for Sept. 26-29 at Madison Square Garden. A week before the event FILA decided to postpone it, saying it had done so out of `respect for the families of the persons who died or disappeared and for security reasons for the participants in the championship.` USA Wrestling had requested a delay in the championships in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. Prior to the postponement, a total of 693 athletes from 82 nations confirmed with USA Wrestling that they intended to compete, making it the largest wrestling world championships ever.Sports » Be a reporter: Write and send your article Expats.bg All Are Welcome! Join Now!
- » Bulgarian Katrin Taseva with Gold and Bronze of Grand Prix in Ukraine
- » Bulgarian Daniel Asenov is European Boxing Champion for the Sixth Time
- » WORLD CHAMPION! Petar Stoychev is the Fastest in the World in Swimming in Icy Waters!
- » Petar Stoychev - 200 m Swimming Below Zero
- » Grigor Dimitrov is Ready to Return for the Masters Game in Miami
- » For the First time, Bulgarian Became the World Vice Champion in the Biathlon
Please, log in to post a comment.
» To the forumComments (0)