Stoltenberg: All NATO Allies agree that Ukraine will eventually become a Member of the Alliance
All NATO allies have agreed that Ukraine will eventually become a member of the alliance, but the main focus now is to ensure that the country prevails over Russia, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg told reporters on Friday, Reuters reports.
Speaking ahead of a meeting of the Ukraine Defense Contact Group at Ramstein Air Base in Germany, he also said that once the war in Ukraine is over, Kyiv must have "defenses to prevent further attacks".
"President Zelensky has very clear expectations," the head of the military alliance said, adding that Ukraine needed "security" to ensure that history does not repeat itself."
"The main focus now is to ensure that Russian President Putin will not win the war, that Ukraine will prevail, because without a sovereign and independent Ukraine, there is no point in discussing its membership in the alliance," Stoltenberg emphasized.
Speaking ahead of the Contact Group on Ukraine meeting at Ramstein Air Base in Germany, the NATO chief revealed that Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has formally accepted an invitation to join the alliance's summit in Vilnius in July.
Read more from the 422nd day of the war in Ukraine.
Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Информирайте се на Български - Novinite.bg
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 647 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Israel-Hamas Conflict Threatens to Overshadow the War
- » Day 646 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Zelensky Calls For Rapid Construction of Fortifications in Key Areas
- » Day 645 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Bulgaria’s Decision to Not Let Through Lavrov’s Plane is Absurd says the Kremlin
- » Day 644 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Putin Will Not Make Peace Before Seeing the Results of the US Elections
- » Day 643 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russian Forces Breaking Through Defenses near Avdiivka
- » NATO Chief: Ukraine Managed to Get Back Half of the Lands Captured by Russia