The President of South Ossetia has scheduled a Referendum on Unification with Russia
South Ossetian's acting President Anatoly Bibilov has scheduled a referendum on unification with Russia. This is stated on the website of the head of state.
The decree is reported to be from May 13. The text states briefly that the consultation will take place on July 17, 2022.
The question for the referendum will be: "Do you support the unification of the Republic of South Ossetia and Russia?"
Bibilov lost the presidential election in the partially recognized state a few days ago by the oppositionist Alan Gagloev. However, the outgoing head of state promised "steps" to join in the course of his election campaign. Then the ruling "United Russia" republished his words.
In the first minutes after the decree, the reaction of the chosen successor is unknown.
South Ossetia, which declared independence in 1991 and was recognized by Russia in August 2008 (during the war with Georgia), spoke about such a referendum in 2015. However, the current schedule coincides with both the war in Ukraine and the concerns about destabilization in another pro-Russian region, Transnistria in Moldova.
Days ago, the pro-Russian administration of the occupied Ukrainian city of Kherson and the surrounding area spoke about unification with Russia - but not with a referendum, but with a decree and a request to President Vladimir Putin.
Follow Novinite.com on Twitter and Facebook
Write to us at email@example.com
Информирайте се на Български - Novinite.bg
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 458 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russia is preparing a Simulation of an Accident at the Zaporizhzhia NPP according to Kyiv
- » Turkey will Vote for the first time in a Presidential Runoff
- » Germany to Transfer its “Patriot” Systems from Slovakia to Lithuania
- » The Situation in Northern Kosovo is Calm - Vucic no longer Leader of his Party
- » Vucic raised the Combat Readiness of the Army and ordered the Serbs to March towards Kosovo
- » Day 457 of the Invasion of Ukraine: At least Two People died after Russian shelling of a Hospital in the City of Dnipro