Crete after Earthquake: One Man Killed, 20 Injured
Society » ENVIRONMENT | September 28, 2021, Tuesday // 13:51
Around nine aftershocks hit moments later, with the strongest one registering a magnitude of 4.6.
Local authorities reported a man was crushed when a church dome in the town of Arkalochori collapsed.
They said that he had been renovating the church when the earthquake rattled the island.
Sarah Williams-Long, a doctor at King’s Hospital in London who was staying at the Creta Maris beach resort with her partner and three-year-old son called the experience “terrifying”.
She said: “They’ve evacuated us from our hotel in case there’s a second earthquake - we’re waiting to be taken to a hotel away from the higher buildings.
“It was terrifying. Initially, there was just a very slight rumble, like waiting for a train underground, but it quickly increased causing the building to shake.
“Everyone instinctively got under the tables until we were asked to leave the building. Some people were visibly shaken - one of the chefs collapsed. It was very dramatic.”
The earthquake had a depth of 1.24 miles and occurred 23km southeast of island capital city Heraklion, the European Mediterranean Seismological Centre (EMSC) said. Daily Express
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: The Zoo in Burgas acquired New Exotic Rodents
- » Sunny Weather in Bulgaria, in the morning with Reduced Visibility
- » Rains will Mostly Stop and Sunny Weather will prevail over Bulgaria
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Yellow Code for Dangerous Rain Showers in 8 Regions
- » European Commission: Bulgaria is not interested in Implementing the Just Transition Plan
- » Cloudy Weather in Bulgaria on the First Day of Spring