Powerful Earthquake Rocks Indonesia Maluku Islands, Tsunami Warning Issued
Indonesia's geophysics agency warned on Wednesday of possible aftershocks and tsunami potential after a 6.1 magnitude earthquake hit near the Moluccas islands, also known as the Maluku islands.
The quake struck at a depth of 10 km (6.21 miles).
"Please move away from beach and move to higher ground," BMKG said in a text message, noting that the warning applied especially to Seram Island.
A tsunami wave could potentially be triggered by underwater landslides, it added. It earlier said there was no tsunami potential.
A local disaster mitigation agency official said there were no report of injured people or casualties so far, but some buildings and public facilities sustained damage.
Unverified videos that circulated online showed some local residents moving to higher ground after the quake.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » North Macedonia held a Funeral for the 45 Victims of the Bus Crash that occurred in Bulgaria
- » Skopje will Receive the Remains of its Citizens that Died in the Bus Crash on Struma Highway
- » Explosion in Munich Wounded Dozens and stopped the Movement of Trains
- » Minister Komitova: The Bus Crash on the Struma highway was not with High Speed
- » Possible End to Mass Explosions caused by Pyrotechnics during Celebrations in Sofia
- » Shooting at a Bus in Kosovo, Young Students were Killed