India Braces for Hurricane Yaas: over 1 Million People Evacuated
India is preparing for the second hurricane in a short time. Hurricane Yaas is over the Bay of Bengal and will cross the east of the country later today. About 1.1 million people have been evacuated.
The hurricane has so far killed two people and destroyed several homes.
The Indian Meteorological Institute has said that the eastern states of West Bengal and Odisha may experience gusts of wind up to 165 kilometers per hour. Major damage from the storm is taken into account.
Since Sunday, Indians have been sheltered in schools and government buildings. Thousands of emergency workers are involved in the evacuations, which are complicated by the corona crisis.
The local authorities are calling on Indians who have been evacuated to keep a sufficient distance and to wear face masks at the shelter locations.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » More than 3,500 Police Officers will provide Security in Athens during Pope Francis' Visit
- » Transgender and Tribal Women among the Recipients of India’s Top Civilian Awards
- » EU May Impose New Sanctions on Belarus as early as Monday
- » Poland Increases Security on Border with Belarus after Threat of Migrants Increases
- » Russia: For Third Day in a Row, More than 40,000 New Infections with COVID-19
- » Up to Three Years in Prison for a Fake COVID Certificate in Ukraine