Bulgarian Prosecutors Alert European Institutions to Political Pressure over Independent Judiciary
Bulgaria’s senior public prosecutors alerted the European institutions to "unprecedented political pressure aimed at the elimination of specialized judicial institutions".
The state prosecutor's office warned that the adoption of the legislative changes related to the two specialized prosecutor‘s offices would hinder the fight against crime and block the work of the independent judiciary.
Letters with such a warning have been sent to the Presidents of the European Commission, the European Parliament, the Group of States against Corruption and the Venice Commission.
According to the Prosecutor's Office, the legislative amendments adopted at first reading in the parliamentary committee on legal affairs, closing the specialized court and prosecutor's office, as well as the proposals for a change in the status of the Bureau for Protection with the Prosecutor General, violate the rights of many persons and will erase the progress made by the state on the European Mechanism for Cooperation and Verification, as well as our country's contribution to the Rule of Law promotion in the European Union.
In another letter sent to the President of the 45th National Assembly, Iva Miteva, and to the Chairman of the Legal Affairs Committee, Radostin Vasilev, the director of the public prosecution states that the bills relating to specialized judiciary are neither legally justified nor serve the interests of Bulgarian citizens.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria’s Defense Minister thinks there was an Explosion on Board Prigozhin’s Plane
- » EC is Preparing Criminal Proceedings against Bulgaria for Accessing Data from Criminal Record Certificates
- » The European Commission Started an Evaluation of the Bulgarian Recovery Plan
- » Nearly 60% of Bulgarians are Skeptical about Adopting the Euro
- » Bulgaria Is Late to Explain Its Position on N.Macedonia Says Diplomat
- » New German Government and Old Bulgarian "bad boy" Borissov