Bulgaria: BSP Returns Cabinet-Forming Mandate, Elections Day Fixed for July 11
President Rumen Radev today handed the third exploratory mandate for the formation of a BSP government, but the leader of the left, Korneliya Ninova, returned it saying:
"Our desire was to have a government that would address several issues important for the future of the people - to prepare the Recovery and Sustainability Plan, to dismantle the Borisov model. For the sake of these priorities, we gave a hand to "There Is Such a People." Alas, this gesture has not been welcome. The new political actors in parliament have declared in advance that they would not support a government even with such important priorities. Under the circumstances it is clear that there is no objective possibility to form a cabinet."
"Next week I will dissolve the National Assembly by decree and appoint a caretaker government. In this situation, it appears that the elections will be on July 11," the Head of State said in turn.
On May 11, Radev will issue the decree appointing the new Central Electoral Commission after today's consultations.
For the first time in Bulgaria’s modern history, a few months after regular parliamentary elections, there will be an early election for a new National Assembly. The parties in the 45th Parliament failed to form a cabinet.
After the official refusal of the GERB-UDF coalition to propose a government, last Wednesday Slavi Trifonov's party "There Is Such a People" received and immediately returned to the president the second exploratory mandate.
Thus, after the three futile attempts by the 45th National Assembly to form a regular government, President Rumen Radev will have to appoint a caretaker cabinet.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » President Radev Starts Consultations over Formation of New Cabinet in Bulgaria
- » Parliament Discusses Dismissal of Prosecutor General Ivan Geshev
- » There is Such a People is Starting Negotiations to Form a Government
- » Iva Miteva from ITN Еlected National Assembly President Оnce Мore
- » Bulgarian President Ready for Consultations and Handing Government-forming Mandate
- » President Radev Awards Madara Horseman Order 1st Degree to Ambassador of the Netherlands to Bulgaria