After 24-Hour Hearing Military Court Ruled to Leave Five Spies in Custody
The five people detained for espionage in favor of Russia remain permanently in custody. The court hearing lasted until 5 a.m. this morning after the defense asked to review the documents in detail. According to the indictment, sufficient evidence was gathered against Ivan Iliev, identified as "the Resident", who is a former high-rank officer of military intelligence.
His former colleague and current head of the secret registry in parliament Lyubomir Medarov, the deputy head of the Army Budget and Expenditure Directorate at the Ministry of Defense Colonel Petar Petrov and two active military intelligence officers also remain behind bars.
For their work the prosecutors in the case received special commendations from the No.1 Prosecutor Ivan Geshev: "Another "reform" almost eliminated the military prosecution. Several of the other judges have been sitting for almost 24 hours until 05:00 this morning. Bulgaria can be proud of these magistrates!," he wrote on Twitter.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 168 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » WHO: Monkeypox is Not a Cause for Concern
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 236 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Bulgaria is in the Top 50 Most Visited Countries in Google Street View in 2021
- » 1/3 of the Signals for Dangerous Foods in the EU are from Bulgaria
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 316 New Cases in the Last 24 hours