Magnitude 6,2 Earthquake Shook Indonesia, Dead and Injured Reported
A strong, shallow earthquake shook Indonesia’s Sulawesi island just after midnight, causing landslides and sending people fleeing from their homes in the nighttime darkness. At least 10 people were confirmed dead and more than 200 injured but authorities were still collecting information from devastated areas.
Thousands of displaced people were evacuated to temporary shelters. The magnitude 6.2 quake early Friday was centered 36 kilometers (22 miles) south of West Sulawesi province’s Mamuju district, at a depth of 18 kilometers (11 miles), the U.S. Geological Survey said.
On Thursday, a magnitude 5.9 undersea quake hit the same region, damaging several homes but causing no apparent casualties.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Another Death on “Trakia” Highway
- » Bulgaria: The Fire near Lyubimets and Harmanli has been Contained
- » Bulgaria: A Bus full of Children Crashed on Trakia Highway Last Night
- » Bulgaria: A Woman and a Child Died in a Traffic Accident on the Trakia Highway
- » Bulgaria: There are 34 Active Fires in the Country, the Situation in Most Places is Under Control
- » The Extinguishing of Fires all over Bulgaria Continues - “Maritsa” Highway will be Closed