The European Commission Continues to Monitor the Air Quality in Bulgaria
The European Commission announced that it continues to monitor the air quality situation in Bulgaria and reminded that it has already taken decisive actions in the past. The EC initiated punitive proceedings against Bulgaria over the levels of fine particulate matter (PM10) and sulphur dioxide (SO2). In 2017, the Court of the European Union confirmed Bulgaria’s failure to protect its citizens from bad quality of air. In July 2019, the EC decided to refer Bulgaria to the Court of the EU for failing to respect the limit values of SO2.
The problem with air quality in the big Bulgarian cities has escalated in the recent months. Traditionally, in the winter season the problem with bad air quality is bigger, because a large part of the population uses solid fuel for heating and many people drive old cars, BNR reported.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Windy and cold with max. temperatures between 1°C and 6°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Yellow Code for strong wind is in force for 27 districts in the country
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Cloudy with Max. Temperatures between 3°C and 8°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Lowest Temp. in the Country was Measured in Kyustendil -10 °C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Sunny with Max. Temperatures between Minus 1°C and 4°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Snowfall and Strong Wind in 4 districts in the South