The EP Approved the Composition of the New European Commission
MEPs from the European Parliament approved the new Commissioners, presented to plenary by Commission President-elect von der Leyen on Wednesday, European Parliament press service announced.
MEPs approved the new Commission with 461 votes in favour, 157 against & 89 abstentions
The vote put an end to the lengthy process of selecting a proposed team of commissioners. Its purpose was to ensure that the EU's executive body has the democratic legitimacy to act in the interests of European citizens.
MEPs elected Ursula von der Leyen to chair the European Commission back in July. From late September to mid-November, parliamentary committees held hearings for each of the candidates to determine whether he/she was appropriate for the proposed post.
On 21 November, political group leaders and European Parliament President David Sassoli agreed that the evaluation process was over and that the EP was ready to hold the final plenary vote.
The new commission will take office on 1 December for five years.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Angela Merkel Decision's is Firm - She Will Not Stand for Re-Election
- » 14-Day Quarantine for Persons Arriving in Bulgaria from Northern Macedonia, No Quarantine for Bosnia and Herzegovina and Montenegro
- » 14-Day Quarantine for Arriving in UK after June 8
- » European Commission: Bulgaria Has No Legal Criteria for the Minimum Wages
- » Kosovo with New Government and PM Avdullah Hoti
- » Bulgaria's PM Boyko Borissov: The State of Emergency Expires on June 15 and All Measures Must be Lifted