The UK Parliament Announced its Suspension
The UK Parliament announced its suspension at midnight, 25 days before the upcoming elections.
The dissolution of Parliament means that the House of Commons and the House of Lords cease to exist. The new House of Commons will be elected on December 12, while the Lords will retain their positions.
Under normal circumstances, a new House Speaker is elected along with the House of Commons, but this year Lindsay Hoyle was elected early to replace John Bercow after his resignation, which he announced in September.
Under the 2011 Parliaments Act for a fixed term, the United Kingdom Parliament is to be re-elected every five years, which means that the next general election was to be held in 2022. However, on 29 October the House of Commons voted early elections in December.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 647 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Israel-Hamas Conflict Threatens to Overshadow the War
- » Schengen Decision for Bulgaria: Awaited Call Delayed Again
- » After the 7-Day Ceasefire: Second Day of Fighting in Gaza
- » Bulgarian and Romanian MEPs Protest Against Schengen Veto in Vienna
- » Day 646 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Zelensky Calls For Rapid Construction of Fortifications in Key Areas
- » Serbia Bolsters Border Security, Plans Increased Police Presence along Bulgaria Border