Brazil Reports Record Forest Fires
The Brazilian tropical forest in the Amazon is suffering a record number of fires this year, according to new data from the National Space Agency.
The National Space Research Institute (INPE) says its satellite images show an 83% increase over the same period in 2018.
This information comes weeks after President Bolsonaro fired the agency's chief of staff for deforestation data.
The smoke from the fires caused an eclipse in the city of Sao Paulo on Monday. Satellite images show the northernmost state in Brazil - Roraima, covered in dark smoke, while neighboring states have declared a state of emergency due to fires.
Every minute in Brazil, a section the size of a football field disappears from the Amazon.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » World Bee Day - Opportunity to Discuss the Challenges of Bee Preservation and Activities for their Survival
- » The European Court of Justice has Sued Bulgaria for its Air Quality
- » Earth Day 2022: Saving the Planet
- » Bulgaria’s Recovery and Sustainability Plan has been finally approved by Brussels
- » Orange Code for Stormy and Strong Winds in Bulgaria
- » Svilengrad on its Way to Becoming the First Bulgarian Zero Waste Certified City