UN: Refusing Meat Consumption Can Help Combat Climate Change
Changing the human diet in favor of plant-based products can help combat climate change, according to UN experts, quoted by the BNR.
A large-scale report on land use and climate change indicates that high consumption of meat and dairy products from western countries is fueling global warming.
But scientists and officials do not explicitly call for everyone to become vegetarian or vegan.
They state that more people can be fed by using less land if meat consumption is reduced.
The paper, prepared by 107 scientists for the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, states that land should be used more effectively to reduce the effects of human-generated emissions.
"We don't tell people to stop eating meat. In some places, people have no choice. But it is obvious that we eat too much in the West, "said Professor Pete Smith, a scientist at the University of Aberdeen.
The report also calls for vigorous action against soil and deforestation contributing to climate change.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Ticks Boom Across the Country
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Thunderstorms in Many Places in the Country on July 5
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Summer Storms with Thunder and Hail, Sunny on the Black Sea
- » Weather Today: Rainy Over Western Bulgaria, on the SeaCoast - Perfect for the Beach
- » Weather in Bulgaria, July 2: Sunny and Warm, Temperatures Up to 35 Degrees
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Sunny with Temperatures Up to 36 Degrees on July 1