David-Maria Sassoli Is the New President of the European Parliament
Italian former journalist David-Maria Sassoli has been selected as the new president of the European Parliament, BBC reported.
He gathered most of the votes at the first vote that took place earlier today.
Mr Sassoli, 63, received the support of 345 out of a total of 667 MEPs in the second round of voting in Strasbourg. The centre-left politician beat three other candidates - Ska Keller, European Green Party (German), Jan Zahradil, Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe (Czech) and Sira Rego, European United Left-Nordic Green Left (Spanish)
He will assume the role of assembly speaker immediately.
- » Ukraine's Prime Minister Resigned
- » Consultations with President Radev on the Problems in the Election Process Continue
- » A New Series of Consultations with President Rumen Radev about the Bulgarian Constitution
- » Speakers of Parliaments in the Western Balkans Countries Gather on a Meeting in Bulgaria
- » President Radev: Holding Power and Managing the State Effectively are Two Different Things
- » OFFICIAL: Emil Dimitrov is the Ecology Minister