UN: Climate Change Will Push 120 million People Into Poverty by 2030
According to the World Bank, if no immediate action is taken, by the year 2030 there will be 120 million people living in poverty worldwide. Only 800 million people live in hot climates in southern Asia, and living conditions will get worse by 2030, the report said.
The livelihoods of the world's poorest are most exposed to climate change disasters, because poverty makes it impossible to escape, says the research. When extreme weather hits, the poorest lack the resources necessary to recover, and become even poorer, creating a vicious circle.
Scientists say the poorest part of the world's population, about 3.5 billion people, is responsible for 10% of the carbon dioxide release. At the same time, 10% of the richest people are responsible for half of the greenhouse gas emissions in the atmosphere.
UN experts urge states and companies to engage more actively with limiting greenhouse gases in the atmosphere that accelerate climate change on the planet.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny and Hot Weekend
- » Weather in Bulgaria July 10: Mostly Sunny Today, Temperatures Up to 34 Degrees
- » Weather in Bulgaria July 9: Sunny and Hot, Temperatures Up to 33 Degrees
- » Bulgaria: 3-Year-Old Bear Found Dead Near Velingrad
- » Weather in Bulgaria July 8: Mostly Sunny Today, Temperatures up to 29 Degrees
- » Weather in Bulgaria July 7: Cloudy and Rainy Today