The EC Creates an Air Fleet to Combat Fires
The reason is the risk of forest fires during the summer, reported NOVA TV.
In order to prepare for forest fire risk, the Commission announced the first fleet of firefighting aircraft under the new rescEU system to deal with natural disasters in the coming summer.
So far, seven firefighters and six helicopters will be part of the rescEU fleet during the initial transition period and the Commission will interact with participating countries to add additional assets in the coming weeks, the EC press service said in Bulgaria.
Five EU Member States, often affected by forest fires in recent years, have already made available their aircraft and helicopters for the transitional fleet of the rescEU for 2019. Initial assets are: 2 Croatian airplanes, 1 French airplane, 2 Italian airplanes , 2 aircraft from Spain and 6 helicopters from Sweden.
In addition to setting up the rescEU fleet, the European Commission is strengthening its monitoring and coordination capacity to prepare for the forest fires season.
The long-term goal is to increase capacity and assets, as well as build a stronger rescEU reserve.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Volcano Erupts on Spain's Canary Island, Population Evacuated
- » Mostly Sunny All Over Bulgaria Max Temperatures 26°-31°C
- » Weather Today: Rain Showers over Eastern Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria: Light Rain in Some Places Today
- » Scientists: Last Summer was the Hottest in Europe
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Light Rains in the South and Maximum Temperatures between 20° and 25°C