Happy Baba Marta From Novinite.com !
Bulgarians are celebrating on Tuesday Baba Marta (Grandma March) holiday, which is observed each year on March 1.
On this day, people greet each other with “Happy Baba Marta” and exchange adornments called “martenitsi” (named after the month of March).
The martenitsi are made of white and red threads and are most often worn as bracelets or come in the shape of a pair of male and female dolls, called Pizho and Penda, which are attached to one’s garment.
The martenitsi are worn until one sees a stork or a tree in blossom, signs associated with the arrival of spring.
Baba Marta is a mythical figure, bringing with her the end of the winter and the start of the spring, with the adornments worn for health.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 4826 New Cases, 136 Have Died, 24,042 Vaccinated in Last 24h
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: Here is Where You can get Vaccinated during the Weekend
- » Bulgaria Authorities Do Not Rule Out Lockdown in Case of Failure with the “Green Certificate”
- » COVID-19: Germany Declares Bulgaria and Croatia High-Risk Countries
- » Bulgarians who Had COVID, established by Antigen Test, can Download “Green Pass” on Monday
- » 89% of Intubated Patients with COVID-19 in Greece are Unvaccinated