The Mayor of Tripoli was Kidnapped
TRIPOLI (Reuters) - The mayor of Libya’s capital was abducted by unknown gunmen from his house overnight, Tripoli’s city council said on Thursday.
“The municipality of central Tripoli and its residents received the news of the abduction of mayor Abdulraouf Hassan Baitelmal by a foolish party after they stormed his house by force of arms and took him to an unknown destination,” the municipal council said in a statement.
The council said it was suspending work in protest until further notice, and called on “competent authorities and residents” to work to secure his release.
Government officials in Tripoli say security in the capital has improved over the past two years, though abductions remain common.
Armed groups have held real power on the ground in Tripoli since Libya’s 2011 uprising.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Hollywood Action Hero Sylvester Stallone with Fake Bulgarian Passport, Found in a Police Operation
- » Crime: Mother Killed Her Own Two Children in Bulgarian Town of Sandanski
- » Bulgaria: Specialized Prosecutor's Office Started Action in Four Districts in Sofia
- » Bank Robbery in Bulgaria's City Sandanski
- » Deputy Speaker of the 44th Bulgarian National Assembly and The Leader of "VOLYA" Party Veselin Mareshki Sentenced to 4 Years in Prison
- » Bulgarian Police Department: Six People Detained at the Protest Today