Predators Attacked Pelicans in ''Srebarna'' Park
Predators attacked the pelicans in the Srebarna Park near Silistra, taking advantage of the still frozen surface of the lake.
Experts and guards in the Reserve first noticed the predators about a week ago.
"There is a fox that has entered, chased, scared a few pelicans," explains Momchil Petrov, an expert in the park. "On March 5, a jackal was observed, which also scared pelicans. We suppose if they ate something, probably frozen eggs.''
Attack foxes and jackals happens every few years when the water freezes. Thus the predatory animals reach the colony of pelicans, which is in the middle of the lake. Experts will only be able to see the damage after melting the ice.
According to experts, the normal and mass period of nesting of pelicans and laying eggs is due in the middle of March.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny and Hot on Tuesday
- » RECORD HEAT: Temperatures between 37 and 42 Degrees in Bulgaria
- » 3 Black Sea Coastal Areas Received 'Protected zone' Status
- » Yellow Code for High Temperatures in Bulgaria, up to 40 Degrees
- » Weather in Bulgaria: The Hottest July Week is Coming
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny and Calm