Angela Merkel Says “Fight For Equal Rights For Women Continues”
German Chancellor, Angela Merkel, said that the “fight for equal rights for women continues’’ in spite the progress made so far, in an Instagram post for International Women’s Day.In a video message on Thursday, Merkel said: “many women before us made sacrifices and fought doggedly for women to have more rights.
“It is now 100 years since women themselves could vote.“But we are of course not happy just to vote, we also want to shape policies in all areas: to take on political responsibility in the family, in the world of work.”Merkel also hinted at greater female representation in her new government. She is set to be re-elected for a fourth term as German chancellor next week after her conservative bloc hammered out a hard-won coalition deal with the Social Democrats (SPD) almost six months after an inconclusive election result.
“I am permitted also to say today that the new cabinet will definitely be an interesting mix of men and women,” Merkel said. She went on to say there was still much to do in Germany to achieve full equality between men and women, but even more in countries where women lack even basic rights.
“Today is not just a day to look back on what we have achieved, but also a day on which we say: The fight for equal rights for women continues,” she concluded.At a G20 women’s summit in April 2017, Merkel refused to answer a question about whether or not she was a feminist, saying that she felt uncomfortable taking credit for activists’ successes.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Lavrov: After the Mess Up in Bulgaria, our Embassy cannot Function Normally
- » Russia stopped issuing Tourist Visas for Bulgarians
- » History: How many Times were Diplomatic Relations between Russia and Bulgaria Severed
- » President Radev congratulated US President Joe Biden on July 4
- » 70 Diplomats and Employees of the Russian Embassy are Leaving Bulgaria
- » Expelled Russian Diplomats are Leaving Bulgaria with their Families: 2 Flights are Taking Out more than 160 People Today