Thousands of Corsicans Demanded Greater Autonomy from France
Thousands of Corsican nationalists protested in Ajaccio, the island's capital, for greater autonomy from France, Euronews reported.
The protest was an attempt to put pressure on Paris before the upcoming visit of French President Emmanuel Macron planned for this week. According to the DPA, 6,000 people were involved in the protest. France press cited the organizers of the procession, according to them there were between 22,000 and 25,000 people.
Unlike the Catalan separatists, Corsican nationalists do not want separation from France. Their requests include the Corsican language, close to the Italian, to be granted official status as well as amnesty for prisoners associated with the radical Corsica Front for National Liberation. Nationalists won local elections in December.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 130 of the Invasion of Ukraine: The Last Bastion in the East may Fall
- » North Macedonia’s Foreign Minister: The Macedonian Language will become Official in the EU
- » Day 129 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Kyiv accused Russia of shelling Snake Island with Phosphorus Bombs
- » Google will Delete the Location of Women who visited Abortion Clinics in the US
- » NATO and the EU Fully Support Bulgaria after the Expulsion of 70 Russian Diplomats
- » Day 128 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Casualties in Odessa after Rocket Attack