Spain has Suspended the International Arrest Warrant for Puigdemont
Spain's Supreme Court said it had withdrawn the international arrest warrant for former Catalunya leader Carles Puigdemont and four cabinet ministers, indicating that politicians have shown readiness to return to Spain, AFP reports.
All five fled to Belgium after the unilateral declaration of independence by the Catalan Parliament on October 27, which was declared illegal by the Spanish courts.
Withdrawal of the international arrest warrant also prevents more than one jurisdiction from overseeing and directing the case, the Spanish court said.
However, the Puigdemont arrest warrant issued by the Spanish authorities remains in force and this means that if he and the other Catalan politicians return to Spain, they will be arrested.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The EC approved Bulgaria to Receive over BGN 32 Billion (EUR 16.4) for 7 years
- » Von der Leyen: Europe should prepare to Stop Gas Supplies from Russia
- » Erdogan: We are Close to a Deal for the Transport of Grain through the Black Sea
- » Boris Johnson is Fighting for his Political Survival
- » Dutch PM: If North Macedonia does not accept the French Proposal, Albania is Moving Forward Alone
- » Day 133 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russian Troops heading South, Sloviansk is the New Front line in Donbas