Two Rich Italian Regions Vote For More Autonomy
Two wealthy regions of northern Italy, Lombardy and Veneto, voted overwhelmingly on Sunday for more autonomy from the central government, according to preliminary results, Reuters reported.
Millions of people in the regions, both run by the once openly secessionist Lega Nord party, voted more than 90 percent for “yes”. Together, Lombardy and Veneto account for a third of the Italian economy.
The party wants to use the results to persuade Rome to allow the regions to keep more of their taxes at home, though the referendums are not binding on the central government.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » UK Moves to Delay Border Control with EU until January 1st 2022
- » Italy Blocks Australian Shipment of 250,000 AstraZeneca Coronavirus Vaccines
- » Czech Government Declared a New State of Emergency
- » Poland to Ease Some COVID-19 Restrictions, but Lockdown Remains
- » Travel Chaos in UK as Europeans Suspend Flights
- » Boris Johnson in Brussels Tomorrow for Brexit Talks