EU Commission President Juncker Rules Himself Out for 2nd Term
European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker has announced he does not intend ro run for another term in 2019.
Juncker has told German broadcaster Deutschlandfunk there "will be no second [campaign]" like the one in 2014.
A former Prime Minister and Finance Minister of Luxembourg, Juncker has been in offce at the Commission since 2014. His term of office expires in 2019.
Süddeutsche Zeitung quotes him as saying in the interview he is concerned about the growing Euroskepticism and the forthcoming Brexit negotiations.
"I had imagined at the beginning of my temr that I would be able to work in a constructive way... so that people regain trust in Europe that they had visibly lost," he has said.
"While now what I am doing for many hours a day is to deal with the planning of an exit of a member state."
Juncker has also voided his worries that further divisions may follow among other member states after Brexit.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » European Commission Signs Contract with Gilead to Secure EU Access to Remdesivir
- » Belgium, Greece, Germany and Austria Tighten Measures Against the Coronavirus
- » Michel Barnier Accused Boris Johnson of Not Keeping His Promises
- » Brussels warns: Coronavirus Pandemic Threatens the Future of the Eurozone
- » Heads of EU and Western Balkans Countries will Meet Virtually
- » The EC Raised 7,4 Billion Euros to Develop a COVID-19 Vaccine