Bulgaria to Introduce 'Unprecedented' Border Checks in Days
Bulgaria will put in place strict border controls unprecedented for the EU within a few days, outgoing Interior Minister Rumyana Bachvarova has said.
Movement into and out of the country will be monitored meticulously due to an agreement with the United States sealed earlier this year, she has told private NOVA TV broadcaster.
All security measures taken around Christmas holidays, however, are in line with those taken in the rest of the EU, Bachvarova has asserted.
Days after the deadly attack at a Christmas market in Berlin, she has explained that while Bulgaria is not facing any specific terror threat, authorities do take into account recent major "refocusing" of Islamic State (IS) group members and have triggered measures allowing it to react more swiftly in case of an emergency.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » President Radev Starts Consultations over Formation of New Cabinet in Bulgaria
- » Parliament Discusses Dismissal of Prosecutor General Ivan Geshev
- » There is Such a People is Starting Negotiations to Form a Government
- » Iva Miteva from ITN Еlected National Assembly President Оnce Мore
- » Bulgarian President Ready for Consultations and Handing Government-forming Mandate
- » President Radev Awards Madara Horseman Order 1st Degree to Ambassador of the Netherlands to Bulgaria