Bulgaria's Coalition Partners Meeting in Last Effort to Form Govt
Officials of the biggest party in Bulgaria, GERB, are set to meet the Reformist Bloc (RB), their allies in the outgoing cabinet, in a last effort to agree on a new cabinet.
The RB is currently holding the mandate to form a government, more than a month after GERB leader Boyko Borisov resigned as Prime Minister. If no agreement is reached and the RB returns the mandate, Bulgaria will slide toward an early election in the spring.
GERB has so far sent mixed signals on the possibility to have a new government. Moreover, the two political organizations will need support from nationalist parties or others to secure a stable parliamentary majority.
Initially, Borisov had said a new cabinet should be made to support a change in electoral legislation. However, he later insisted the RB should create a government on its own, with GERB only backing it.
The RB's Union for Democratic Forces (UDF), one of the bloc's heavyweights, has argued the new government should keep Borisov as Prime Minister.
The meeting begins at 10:00 local time (EET).
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria’s Caretaker Foreign Minister Will Not Change Stand on North Macedonia
- » Bulgaria: Boyko Borissov Passed Baton to Stefan Yanev, Journalists Not Allowed to Swearing-in Ceremony
- » LIVE: President Radev Introduces Caretaker Cabinet, Vows to Fight Vote-Buying
- » Who Is Stefan Yanev - New Bulgarian Caretaker Prime Minister?
- » World Wires on Bulgaria: Caretaker Cabinet Will Have to Tackle Pandemic, Ensure Fair Elections
- » Bulgaria: President Radev Dissolved 45th National Assembly, Snap Election Scheduled for 11 July