Bulgaria's Coalition Partners Meeting in Last Effort to Form Govt
Officials of the biggest party in Bulgaria, GERB, are set to meet the Reformist Bloc (RB), their allies in the outgoing cabinet, in a last effort to agree on a new cabinet.
The RB is currently holding the mandate to form a government, more than a month after GERB leader Boyko Borisov resigned as Prime Minister. If no agreement is reached and the RB returns the mandate, Bulgaria will slide toward an early election in the spring.
GERB has so far sent mixed signals on the possibility to have a new government. Moreover, the two political organizations will need support from nationalist parties or others to secure a stable parliamentary majority.
Initially, Borisov had said a new cabinet should be made to support a change in electoral legislation. However, he later insisted the RB should create a government on its own, with GERB only backing it.
The RB's Union for Democratic Forces (UDF), one of the bloc's heavyweights, has argued the new government should keep Borisov as Prime Minister.
The meeting begins at 10:00 local time (EET).
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Kiril Petkov on his Citizenship: I Do Not Feel Any Guilt
- » General Mutafchiiski with Special Award from Jewish Community in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Road Constuctors Mount yet Another Protest
- » Bulgaria: Prices Will Rise More Steeply than Expected - Finance Ministry
- » Three Foreigners Arrested in Bulgaria for Trading Info from Arsenal military plant
- » Caretaker Government Required State-owned Companies to Pay Dividend