Bulgaria Denies Backing Freeze of Turkey's EU Talks
Bulgaria's Foreign Ministry has downplayed commens by Austrian top diplomat Sebastian Kurz, who earlier argued Sofia sided with Vienna on the need to freeze membership talks with Turkey.
Bulgaria's Position for the EU General Affairs Council on December 13, 2016 includes the argument that the process of Turkey's accession into the EU is "an important instrument of inflence and encouragement of the Europeanization of the country and should be saved," the ministry has said in a statement.
"Nothing in Bulgaria's position... gives any ground for conclusions toward an eventual Bulgarian support for freezing the negotiating process."
Membership talks with Turkey should be carried out according to the same procedure and under the same criteria that relates to all other candidate countries into accession talks.
Kurz argued on Monday that Bulgaria and the Netherlands had backed Austria to freeze the talks over Ankara's response to the military coup attempt in July.
- » Today is the Donald Trump Vladimir Putin Helsinki Summit
- » Ukrainian President Appoints Ambassadors to Bulgaria and Algeria
- » Uzbek-Bulgarian Trade House Opens in Sofia
- » Trump Starts his UK Tour by Threatening to Kill off US a Trade Deal
- » Bulgaria’s President Radev Talks with Donald Trump at the NATO Summit
- » Bulgaria’s President at the NATO Summit in Brussels
It is not wise to expect that Bulgaria will oppose the Turkish entrance... It is job of the Germans...They invited Turkey and they worked hard to integrate the Turks in Europe and they will be the one to carry the Burden...after all the Turkish population in Bulgaria is not increasing... it is increasing in Germany. The Bulgarian Turks move to Germany...Th new Turkish Germany have to find its self and its place under the sun.